Raul Julia and Anjelica Huston step into the creepy and kooky shoes of Gomez and Morticia Addams in this big screen adaptation of the beloved ‘60s sitcom. The mirthfully macabre family is delighted to welcome home their long lost Uncle Fester - but is he truly the man he claims to be? Those wacky Addams will get to the bottom of things... with some help from Thing. Bonus: check out a pre-teen Christina Ricci as dour daughter Wednesday, the role she was seemingly born to play.
Top 10 Fun Facts
- From the funny pages to the small screen to the big screen: the Addams Family was created by cartoonist Charles Addams.
- Outstanding performance, darling: Anjelica Huston picked up a Golden Globe nomination for her role as Morticia Addams.
- Got quarters? The pinball machine based on the film is reportedly the best-selling pinball machine of all time.
- MC Hammer performed the film's theme song and made an accompanying music video, called the "Addams Groove."
- Back when home construction was cheap: it cost $100,000 to recreate the Addams' house for the film.
- Hand me down: actor Bruno Kirby offered his fat suit from The Godfather: Part II to Christopher Lloyd for his role as Uncle Fester.
- Changing the family tree: Uncle Fester is Gomez's brother in the movie, but in the original TV series, he was Morticia's uncle.
- Rumor has it Cher wanted the role of Morticia. We hope Anjelica Huston didn't rub it in too badly.
- Anthony Hopkins turned down the role of Uncle Fester. Instead he did a little movie called The Silence of the Lambs, and nabbed an Oscar as Hannibal Lecter.
- Facelift, schmacelift: Angelica Huston had to wear strings that pulled at the corners of her eyes in order to achieve the proper Morticia look.